Thursday, July 12, 2012

Chapter 3: The Transfer Student


              Gathering my stuff I shuffled out of the class room still in a daze about whether or not it was a dream.  Third period was art so without needing any other books I headed straight there. Opening the door I walked in letting the familiar scent of paint and clay wash over me.  Sitting down I realized we had a sub and that instructions were on the black board. “ Today you will be working on a picture it may anything you like as long as you use water colors to make it and the size is 11x14. It will be due by the end of the week  please also clean up before you leave class. Thanks - Mrs. Web” I read silently to myself.  Grabbing my supplies I returned to my seat. Was it a dream? Is Zane real or did I just imagine him? What was that song I heard? Why did it feel so real….especially my attraction to him? Questions clouded my mind as I drew aimlessly and as I began to think of him my heart raced again.  This is soo confusing how can I feel so strongly towards a guy that I more than likely made up? Turning my attention back to what I was drawing I realized that I had drawn a meadow with red shimmering flowers and just like in my dream I had also drawn a five year old  presumably Zane playing his flute. I wanted to rip it up in frustration, why couldn’t I get the dream off my mind! I picked up the drawing and was about to rip it apart when a familiar deep seductive voice spoke with mocked pain. “ Oww how painful my own lovely night flower thinking of tearing apart a drawing of me.” ZANE! I screamed to myself that’s Zane’s voice wait what how am I hearing things?! More importantly what the h***does he mean by his own! I belong to no one that guy is to d*** cocky he drives nuts! “Tsch tsch touché touché my love I know you can feel the pull to me the urge to be with me forever. I crave you just as must as you crave me we are meant to be together and you know it. I will not let anyone else take you, for you are mine and mine alone my sweet lovely night flower.” It was true I felt like I was made to be with him. It made no sense but I loved him even though I knew nothing about him, yet at the same time everything about him. Wait he just said he loved me too?! What is this about it has to be real unless I am seriously messed up and need to be hauled off to mental hospital. I was about to try and contact him to get answers when the bell rang and the sub collected the drawings. Getting up I left class I will just have to wait till later when I can concentrate fully on finding answers from him.
At my locker I saw Oadira waiting for me like usual. “ Hey what took you I’ve been waiting here for awhile now you better hurry up and grab you books for math.” Oadira said as I neared my locker and began opening it. “Sorry we had a sub in art took longer then normal to leave since someone forgot to clean up making us all stay behind.” I replied pulling out my notebook and putting away by chemistry stuff. Turning to Oadira I smiled an apology and we headed off towards math. “ So Scarlet did you study for the test today? I’m so nervous I think I might fail it.” C*** that’s right there is a test today d*** it I thought as I face palmed myself. “ I totally forgot we even had a test I’m so screwed.” I said as we took are seats next to each other. “Well hate to break it to you but this just means we can’t copy off each other.” Oadira said sarcastically “What do you mean we still can I mean either way were going to fail you will fair better I’m sure though.” I replied only half joking, just then the teacher walked in and passed out the test. “ This is not a timed test but it must be completed during class or you will have to stay after school to finish. You may begin.” The teacher instructed taking a deep breath I flipped the test over and began.
The test took me the whole class period and I just barley finished in time handing in my test at the door me and Oadira made are way towards the Cafeteria for lunch. Passing the hot lunch line where the special was meat loaf surprise me and Oadira grabbed a pre made salad and went to go eat it outside under a cherry tree. “ Ohh Ohh Scarlet did you hear we have a new student. Best part he’s super gorgeous!” Oadira  squealed with excitement. “He is in my third period god I practically melted when he introduced himself.” She continued at the mention of this I couldn’t help but wonder if the new student was the guy from my dream Zane. “Really what does he look?” I asked needing to know if it was him. “I thought you didn’t care if a guy was hot?” Oadira teased “Of coarse I take notice of a guys hotness I am a girl after all. I just think you shouldn’t fall for a guy just based on looks I mean the guy could end up being a real d***.” I explained to Oadira “ besides as long as I am stuck under my aunt’s control any chance of a love life is slim.” I added hopping Oadira would understand. “Alright well if your just curious then I will tell you I mean either way you would learn eventually. So his name is Peter he has dirty blonde hair and grey eyes and when he smiles he gets the cutest dimples.” Oadira Squealed the last part leaving my ears ringing. Dirty blonde hair I guess it isn’t Zane… For some strange reason my heart hurt with disappointment. I should have known it couldn’t have been him after all he isn’t real. I made him up in my dream and only thought I heard his voice so in the end I’m just crazy. Finishing my lunch I said my to Oadira and headed off towards English class.
In English I took my seat I had gotten here early so I decided to take out my note book and begin to write song lyrics. Since I try to spend as little time possible with my aunt I am by myself a lot so drawing and writing and some of my favorite pass times. I even will sing if I am home alone with out my aunt to yell at me about the noise. Looking down I re-read what I had written.

The sky is grey but it will clear up,
For it can’t always be this tough .
If there’s a calm before a storm,
Can’t there be a calm once more?

Satisfied with my new lyrics I closed my book as the late bell rang. In walked Miss. Winter and following behind her a boy with dirty blond hair and grey eyes. “That must be the new student he looks just like Oadira described.” I thought “Starting today I am sure some of you are already aware we will be having a new student join are class. Would you like to introduce yourself to everyone?” Miss winter said, nodding the new student walked forward and spoke. “Hello nice to meet you I’m Peter Casselle.” He finished with a smile and yup he had dimples just like Oadira said. “ Thank you Mr. Casselle please take a seat next to Scarlet.” She said and pointed to the empty seat next to me. “Alright now that we are all seated I am going to assign everyone a partner for the semester. You and your partner will work together on all essays and papers but both must contribute. Alright so everyone look to your right the person sitting there is your partner please try and get along.” Miss Winter instructed as everyone began to chat with there partner. Turning to my right I looked over at Peter to see him already looking at me. Reaching out my hand I introduced myself. “Hi I’m Scarlet nice to meet you. I hope we can get along.” I said smiling, grasping my hand Peter smiled “Thanks I hope so too. I don’t really have anyone I know so I hope we can be friends.” The rest of class we spent talking getting to know each other and discussing are essay due next Tuesday.  I learned that Peter also use to live in Chicago but moved here with his dad after his mom died. I felt at ease around Peter his personality was friendly, funny , and smart I felt as though he could become a close friend. The bell rang and I got up to leave. “Hey Scarlet wait up a second.” Peter called after me turning around I waited for him. “I don’t know what I’m suppose to do for my next class it just says free period.” I rarely got an opportunity to tease anyone so I was gonna take it. “That is when everyone goes on a freedom march demanding that we should be allowed to freely leave school grounds as we please.” I said sarcastically “What really! I knew home schooling was different but you really go on freedom marches. I think I read somewhere about them.” Peter rambled, I couldn’t help but laugh “Peter I’m kidding it’s just a study period you go to the library and study or do homework. I have it next too.” I told Peter “ What gesh man I can’t believe I fell for that. That’s it now it’s pay back time you better start running.” He teased with a smile as I took off running down the halls laughing as he chased after me. Bursting through the doors into the court yard I looked behind me to see I had time to hide. Running behind a tree I hide as I heard Peter open the doors and come outside “Scarlet come out come out where ever you are.” Peter called holding my breath as to not make a sound I waited. That’s odd I don’t hear him anymore poking my head around the tree I scanned the court yard. Suddenly I let out a scream as hands grabbed my waist “Got you now.” Peter whispered in my ear as he began to tickle me. I fell on the floor in a fit of giggles as he continued to tickle me “Mercy… mercy.. I give ..I give.” I managed to say in between my uncontrollably giggles. Stopping Peter laid down  in the grass next to me and began to watch the clouds. Catching my breath I did the same, after a few minutes of silence I looked over at Peter to find him staring at me. When he noticed I was looking he smiled a slow easy going smile one that made my stomach do a summersault. I gave him a bright smile back glad to have become friends with him. As we lay there Peter reached for my hand and we held hands and watched the clouds. Alright I thought maybe he is more then a friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment